Collections >The Appalachian Collection
An Appalachian Collection
Mountain Music for Scottish Pipes
Listen to Samples
View a sample page
Read a review by the 'Piping Times'
- Over 60 arrangements of traditional Appalachian melodies
- Includes music featured on The Piper in the Holler and in 'Piping Today's' article and online supplement on "mountain piping"
Melodies from ballads, breakdowns, gospel and shape-note hymns, songs, and marches
- A great source of melodies that can be easily arranged into reels, jigs, airs, etc.
- Chord symbols added above each tune for guitarists, pianists, and other accompanists
- Traditional two- and three-part harmonies included with shape-note hymns
- Lyrics included for ballads, hymns, songs, and some breakdowns
- Supporting background information on Appalachia and its music
- Tips on performing in the Appalachian style, and with old-time musicians
- Some melodies feature alternate tunings, C- and F-natural
- Accompanying artwork, historical photographs, and source index
- Spiral-bound for convenience
- Also a great resource for fiddlers, whistle players, singers, and other non-pipers
- Difficulty levels range from easy to difficult
- Selections include 'Shady Grove', 'Old Joe Clark', 'Wayfaring Stranger', 'Sandy Boys', 'June Apple', 'Stony Point' (aka 'Pig Town Fling'), 'Cluck Old Hen', 'Tombigbee Waltz', 'Ducks on the Mill Pond', 'Johnny Cope', 'Red Fox', 'The World Turned Upside Down', 'Man of Constant Sorrow', 'Natchez', 'Pilgrim of Sorrow', 'Highlander's Farewell', 'Bonaparte Crossing the Rockies' ('The Battle of Waterloo'), 'Idumea' ('Am I Born to Die?'), 'Hop High Ladies' ('Miss MacLeod's Reel), 'Chapel Hill Serenade', 'Angeline the Baker', 'British Field March', 'Fathers, Now Our Meeting is Over', 'Amazing Grace' (original shape-note version), 'Wondrous Love' (original shape-note version), 'Ecstasy', 'Hallelujah', and many more
- (Does not include 'Cowper', 'The Dying Californian', 'Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah', or 'Pretty Saro', which may all be added to new collections and/or a 2nd edition in the future.)